Friday, April 15, 2011

To Shine or not to Shine ?









Last night I experienced a world full of culture. As I walked into the theater of the Vernon performing arts center, I was blown away by the beauty of the lines portrayed on stage. Contemporary is a genre that moves me to tears every time my eyes are exposed to it .It was so inspiring to watch new talent on the stage for the first time , the repertoire of skill the girls possessed was incredible. But let’s get back on track what I am really hear to talk about it the Shine Festival. Sure the venue that was chosen was lovely but the company itself not so much. I have never experienced such a lack of feedback from the adjudicators before. No technique refinements, no comments on choreography. Nothing was said to the students in the competition other than a placing and for all their hard work. This was a disgrace! I ask what they got in return. To become an Adjudicator at one of these prestigious dance competitions’ you must have the knowledge on how to develop consistent marking schemes, how to give appropriate, constructive dance critiques and how to deal with uncomfortable situations that may arise. Whoever picked this year’s adjudicators obviously didn’t take this into consideration that much unless these people actually do possess these required skills and just didn’t demonstrate them in their broadest capability? I cannot distinguish the reply that is wished to be desired here. Either way what I witnessed last night encompassed in my seat was not up to par, making me feel utterly disappointed for all the dancers that graced the stage receiving absolutely no criticism. Taking everything into account positioning myself in a situation such as I did at the Shine Festival is not one I would choose to be in for a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment