Thursday, February 3, 2011

If I had one wish


Soaring past the stars that twinkled from the smiles of angels. The seams of my birthday dress clung to my sides .I was at peace. As I passed over the lights of the city I had a new sense of understanding. This world we live in is a complex whirlwind of countless disasters, that provide the glimmer of hope we call happiness. It can be short lived or if we're lucky last a lifetime. This is the kind of thoughts that leaped across the canvas of my mind. As I flew in the air reaching for the wonders of existence my eyes wandered to a mother alone after hearing the very words "he's not coming come”, the agony and heartbreak were displayed in her eyes. A tear trickled down my cheek like the candle to the fire. Ripped from the scene I saw a little girl about my age sitting in the grayness of the dirt crouched over a puddle of contaminated water. This would be her fix for the day ,maybe the week. She was fragile, covered with a skin so translucent. A flash and she was gone. I was now surrounded again only by the twinkling stars hanging in the horizon. As the blinding sun crept in past the sturdy panes my eyes were pulled back into reality, enclosed by the whirlwind of my lime green sheets I sat up in my bed. I had seen the broken. I had seen the hungry. I was so lucky to live in this place I call home. That night I blew out the candles on my birthday cake and whispered "If I had one wish it would be to fly, to fly across the world like I did in my dreams so I could protect the broken and the hungry." Now ten years later I am just about to graduate high school and am on my way, hoping to make the wish of an eight year old little girl come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment